Wamego's Historical Sites
Please stop by and visit more of of Wamego, Kansas historical sites. Featuring the Wind Mill, City Park and other featured attractions. Use the slide shows to the right to see local attractions.
History of the Victory Inn
According to Pottowatomie County records, Leonard C. Prunty purchased a plot of land on September 23, 1867 for $1. On that site, Mr. Prunty built a modest, but sturdy four-room house for his growing family. (The original four rooms are today the dining room, the office and the war room.) He had come west from Virginia, through Missouri and Platte County, KS, eventually settling along the banks of the Kaw River. He began operating a ferry there, as there was no bridge to cross the river. Mr. Prunty also owned a lumber-yard, and served as first vice president of the First National Bank of Wamego, with fellow Wamego founding father, J.C. Rogers serving as its president. Later, Leonard Prunty served as a senator in the Kansas Senate.
The home continued to grow when the Prunty's eldest daughter, Anna (born in 1866 and believed to be the first girl baby born in Wamego) married Frank Rowles. Frank and Anna purchased the home in 1907 from Mrs. Adelline Prunty. It is reasonable to believe that Frank and Anna lived in the home with Anna's parents for some time before they purchased the home. In 1912 another addition was added when the present day kitchen and Wuerzburger room were completed.
Anna Prunty Rowles died in 1943 and the home was purchased in 1944 by the Lyle Stewart family. The Stewarts lived in the home for twenty-seven years until they sold it to Mark and Rose Mary Hainline in 1971.
In addition to raising their family here, the Hainlines rented two of the upstairs rooms to school teachers and manager trainees of the Nickerson Farms Restaurant in Paxico.
In the mid-70s, Mark Hainline constructed the detached garage (now incorporated into the Feyh's family private suite) from lumber salvaged from the old barn that stood on the property. Many of those salvaged barn boards and the old sliding barn door have been incorporated into the garage addition.
The Hainline family lived in the house until 1986 when the home was purchased by Gary and Cindy Wurtz. In December 2002, Tony and Tracy Humphreys became the sixth owners of the house.
In August, 2011 the home was bought by Francis and Margaret Feyh. Making the Feyh's the seventh owners of the house.